MHG58764 - Drill Hall - High Street, Kingussie


A drill hall, originally a school, renovated in 1911. It is now used as an adventure training base.

Type and Period (2)

  • DRILL HALL (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
  • SCHOOL (18th Century - 1701 AD? to 1800 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The Kingussie drill hall is a 6-bay single-storey building, with an elaborately-pedimented door, with the arms of the Cameron Highlanders. The building has been extended to the rear and has modern windows.
In 1914 this was the base for "F" Company 4th battalion, Cameron Highlanders. The drill hall is marked on the 2nd edition 1:2500 map.
The present drill hall building was rebuilt in 1911 as suggested by a date stone above the front entrance. A smaller drill hall building is shown and annotated on the 2nd edition of the OS 25-inch map and may be using an original school building that is depicted and annotated on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>

GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <4>

Sources/Archives (5)



Grid reference Centred NH 7606 0076 (32m by 34m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH70SE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.