MHG58809 - Hut circle - Isle Ewe
A hut circle on Isle Ewe.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle on Isle Ewe.
Roundhouse with diameter of 12m and a SE facing entrance. The site was recorded in 2014 by D. Malone, A MacInnes & J Buchanan as part of an archaeological survey of Isle Ewe. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2014 APs <2>
185131 888495 JAN024 Isle Ewe 2: The hut circle was visited by A MacInnes in 2014 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross for A Welti. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This circular stone structure is in poor condition. It is sited on a moderate SE facing slope with the ring bank spread and slumped. The platform is dug into and built out from the slope. The structure is submerged by heather. An enclosure is adjacent to the HC and there are other field boundaries in the vicinity. Views from the site are panoramic over land and sea. Vegetation in the surrounding landscape is a mixture of heather and grass. Inside the structure there is more heather than grass. There is a stream 300m to the SE and the sealoch, Loch Ewe is 300m to the East of the HC. The average inner diameter is 7.8m, outer diameter averages 11.85m. The double skinned wall is 2.2m thick with maximum height 0.3m. A definite entrance faces SE with external width 1.0m, internal width 0.8m and passage length 2.0m. JAN024 is distant 100m from JAN023 (see MHG7740). These 2 HCs seem similar in structure and landscape siting. <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malone, B, MacInnes, A & Buchanan, J. 2014. A History and Survey of Isle Ewe. Unaffiliated. 2018. Digital. p.42 Site 36.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2014. Getmapping aerial photography 2014. XY
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. JAN024.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. JAN024.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8512 8850 (18m by 18m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.