MHG58812 - Bothies - Isle Ewe
Two fishing bothies on Isle Ewe
Type and Period (1)
- FISHING BOTHY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a farmstead comprising an unroofed long building, and two enclosures lying about 100m to the NW are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xix). The enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 23 April 1996
Two ruined fishing bothies/houses on the shore. These were known as Tigh na Bodach and were lived in by two families of Macraes and Mackenzies who eventually moved to the farm worker cottages by ‘The Square’. The site was recorded in 2014 by Malone D, MacInnes A & Buchanan J as part of an archaeological survey of Isle Ewe. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 Aps <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malone, B, MacInnes, A & Buchanan, J. 2014. A History and Survey of Isle Ewe. Unaffiliated. 2018. Digital. p.44 Site 42.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8535 8877 (22m by 19m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.