MHG58827 - Oldhall Bridge - Dunn Burn
Bridge of Dunn, or Oldhall Bridge, was built 1815-19 under the direction of Telford. It is now bypassed and deteriorating.
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD BRIDGE (Built, 19th Century - 1815 AD to 1819 AD)
- None recorded
Two miles west of Greystones Bridge, at Watten on the same road, is Oldhall Bridge over a burn, [Burn of Dunn] built from 1815–19 under Telford’s general direction and now bypassed and deteriorating. It consists of a single semicircular arch about 16 ftwide and 24 ft high with an arch-ring of Caithness flagstones about 2 ft deep, paved invert, random rubble spandrels and approach retaining walls in similar stone. The roadway is 18 ft wide.
Both [this and Greystones Bridge] were erected as part of the improvement of the Thurso road. The surveyor was H. Fulton and the contractor J. Traill Esq. and others. Great difficulty was experienced in letting a contract for this 20 mile length of road which, at the then large sum of £13 365, cost about 30% more than the estimate.
R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2057 5628 (9m by 8m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331815/bridge-of-dunn (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.