MHG58834 - Blast Structure - Castletown Airfield
Possible air raid shelter or blast structure.
Type and Period (2)
- BLAST SHELTER? (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- STRUCTURE (20th Century - 1901 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
A double celled, roofless structure is visible in aerial photography taken 1999-2001. <1>
A low walled, double chambered structure has been identified at the northern perimeter of Castletown Airfield. It may be a blast shelter.
Information from the UK Pillbox Study Group, June 2012 <2>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <3>
See link below to HES Canmore record for photographs.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Fraser, D.. 2017. Notification of the amendments to the listing of Cromarty Court House Museum including prison, gatepiers, boundary wall and railings, Church Street, Cromarty. Historic Environment Scotland. 17/01/2017. Digital.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2116 6717 (10m by 10m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/320120/castletown-airfield (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.