MHG58849 - WWI Seaplane Station - Thurso
A seaplane station was established at Thurso within days of the start of the First World War, but shortly afterwards merged with the seaplane station at Scapa Flow.
Type and Period (1)
- SEAPLANE STATION (First World War - 1914 AD to 1914 AD)
- None recorded
A seaplane station was established at Thurso within days of the start of the First World War, on 13 August 1914. A Short S.38 seaplane was delivered by rail but had left by the end of August. By the end of 1914 this base had been merged with the seaplane station at Scapa Flow and closed. Recorded as part of the HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project. <1> <2> <3>
Location and extent unknown. Location based on grid reference from HES Canmore record. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Fife, M. 2007. Scottish aerodromes of the First World War. pp 33, 35.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331309. XY
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 9, table 2.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 63.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1210 6880 (40m by 40m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331309/thurso-seaplane-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.