MHG58870 - Prisoner of War Camp - Lentran
A WWI prisoner of war camp is listed as 'Beauly, Lentran' in the 1919 'List of Places of Internment'. It precise location is not known.
Type and Period (1)
- PRISONER OF WAR CAMP (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
A First World War prisoner of war camp is recorded as being at 'Beauly, Lentran' in the 1919 'List of Places of Internment' in Britain, its colonies and dominions. A location coinciding with Inverness District Lunatic Asylum has been suggested, but Lentran is a village between Beauly and Inverness, on the south side of the Firth. The camp was described as a 'work camp' under Stobs (the chief camp of the PoW system in Scotland). German soldiers, other than officers and senior NCOs, could be put to work that did not directly further the prosecution of the war. The site was recorded as part of HS and RCAHMS' World War One Audit Project in 2013. <1> <2> <3>
The precise location of the POW camp is unknown, and recorded here as a four figure grid reference (NH 58 45) on edge of Lentran. GW 07/03/19
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 332703. XY
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 16, table 4.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 261.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5800 4500 (20m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332703/lentran-prisoner-of-war-camp (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.