MHG58888 - Former Church - Fort Augustus
A corrugated iron church, now used as a shop.
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- SHOP (20th Century to 21st Century - 1970 AD? to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Corrugated Iron church in Fort Augustus, now a shop.
Pevsner: Opened 1906 and United Free Church though I was told that all denominations had used the building.
Information from M Briscoe, 15 October 2013
A corrugated iron church, now a “Mill Shop”, next to the canal and on the north side of the road swing bridge, is on a NNW-SSE alignment. The main part of the church is c15m x 7m but there is an extension at the NE corner and a wooden porch at the south end. A bell tower sits atop the south gable. The eleven stained glass windows become much more evident from the inside and are mostly in good order. There is a single original pew at the back/south end. The people running the shop provided the information that it was built in 1906 and was originally a Free Church but there was a union with the United Free Church and in 1929 it became a Church of Scotland (Inveroich C of S). In 1934 when the parish combined with Abertarff parish it became Fort Augustus C of S. It later became the Mackay Hall and has been a shop since the 1970s. <1>
See link below to HES Canmore record for photographs of the building. <1>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3791 0923 (12m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332809/fort-augustus-church (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.