MHG58894 - Drill Hall - Inverness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DRILL HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
The Academy Street drill hall (actually situated up a narrow pend from Academy Street, now a street called Strothers Lane) was built between the surveying of the 2nd and 3rd edition 1:2500 maps. In 1914 it was the HQ for and base of 4th battalion Cameron Highlanders, and base for "A" and "C" Companies; it was also the base for the Highland Mounted Brigade Transport and Supply Column, Army Service Corps. It was also the HQ of the Highland Mounted Brigade. The building has been demolished. It was recorded as part of HS and RCAHMS' World War One Audit Project in 2013. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied from AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp 281.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331810.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp 60, table 35.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 417. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6674 4559 (34m by 36m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331810/inverness-strothers-lane-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.