MHG58922 - Drill Hall - Croyard Road, Beauly
A drill hall is depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition OS Maps.
Type and Period (0)
- None recorded
The Beauly drill hall was in existence by about 1872 and according to one account was a former school building dismantled and moved from Lairg. In 1914 it was the HQ and drill station of "D" Squadron Lovat's Scouts and the base for "G" Company, 4th battalion Cameron Highlanders. It is marked on the 1st and 2nd edition OS 1:2500 map. It was recorded as part of RCAHMS and HS' World War One Audit Project. <1> <2> <3>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on the 1st Edition Inverness 25 Inch OS Map. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp. 268.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331796.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 60, table 35.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 403.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5249 4647 (20m by 25m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331796/beauly-croyard-road-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.