MHG58929 - WWI Seaplane Base - Fort George

Summary

A naval seaplane station was established close to the fleet base at Invergordon, in sheltered water at Fort George.

Type and Period (1)

  • SEAPLANE BASE (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A naval seaplane station was established close to the fleet base at Invergordon, in sheltered water at Fort George. The seaplane station at Cromarty (operating in 1913) had been deemed too exposed and the aircraft, stores and Bessoneaux canvas hangar from Cromarty were moved to Fort George late in that year. Operations ceased here at some point in the spring or summer of 1915. The precise location of the seaplane station is not known, but a concrete platform, which may be a second world war landing platform, on the southern, sheltered, side of the 18th-century fort might mark its location. Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project. <1> <2> <3>

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7620 5652 (20m by 20m)
Map sheet NH75NE
Civil Parish ARDERSIER
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.