MHG58944 - Farmstead, mill, millpond, kiln (The Square), Isle of Ewe
‘The Square’ is the ruin of John Mackenzies’s model farm on Isle of Ewe
Type and Period (4)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- KILN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- MILL POND (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The Square as it is known on the island are the buildings of Dr John Mackenzie’s model farm. Associated with ‘the Square’ are walled enclosures (MHG58961), two rows of buildings built to house farm workers (MHG58945) and fishermen (MHG58960), a jetty (MHG58962), and a mill pond with lade leading to a mill wheel that drove a threshing and meal mill. This site was recorded in 2014 by Malone D, MacInnes A & Buchanan J as part of an archaeological survey of Isle Ewe . <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 AP’s <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2014. The Square: Situated on Isle Ewe. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.1.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malone, B, MacInnes, A & Buchanan, J. 2014. A History and Survey of Isle Ewe. Unaffiliated. 2018. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8607 8763 (130m by 115m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.