MHG58985 - Kildonan House, Dundonell
Ruins of Kildonan House, Dundonell
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Two roofless buildings, one of which was shown roofed on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross and Cromarty 1905, sheet xxi), lie situated to the SW of the farmhouse (MHG26401) at NH 0765 9110. A third unroofed building is situated on the shore below the raised beach at NH 0740 9117. Run rig or lazy bed cultivation lies up to 90m W of the building and up to 250m E of it. Another feature consisting of large boulders with a dump of very small stones is situated to the E of the farmhouse at NH 0776 9106, although it is unclear whether this is a modern feature or the remains of an earlier building. <1>
This site was recorded in 2011 by Buchanan M, Buchanan J, & MacInnes A as part of an archaeological survey of Kildonan township.
Kildonan House. The 1st OS shows the earlier house as roofed. It is not known if the earlier house post dates the township, being built when the sheep farm was established, but its construction of dressed stone unlike the ruins within the township, suggests this. The older house has three main compartments with two outshots. A rough measurement gave an overall length of 25m and width of 3.3m. Elevation 14m. <2>
NGR based on Ordnance Survey Mastermap <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1995. Archaeological Survey of Proposed Plantation at Creag na Ceapaich, Dundonnell. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 20/12/1995. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Buchanan, M; Buchanan, J. & MacInnes, A.. 2011. A Survey of Kildonan Township. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.15,16.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0765 9109 (43m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/115942 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.