MHG58991 - Shepherd’s House, enclosure and walled garden. Kildonan, Dundonell
Shepherd’s House, enclosure and walled garden by the township at Kildonan, Dundonell
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALLED GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The depopulated township of 'Kildonan' extends from NH 075910 to NH 082908. (Visible on air photographs OS/61/48, 021-022 and RAF CPE/Scot/ 321, 3183-4). It comprises 26 buildings, 3 yards, and several enclosures, all standing to an average height of 1.0m. (See MHG25200)
Visited by OS (R B) 5 October 1964
Seven roofed and twenty-two unroofed buildings, three unroofed structures, some enclosures and a head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xxi). Three roofed and thirty one unroofed buildings, some enclosures and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 February 1996
As well as the remains of a number of structures within Kildonan township there is extensive evidence of broad rig cultivation, which was recorded during the course of a pre-afforestation survey undertaken by J Wordsworth. The cultivation is situated most visibly to the N of Alltan a' Churaich and S of the Allt Mor Chill-donain on a sloping terrace raised above the beach. Less obvious remains can be found in the ground below the raised beach, although these may have been ploughed over at a later date. Other structures include a sheepfold, boundary wall, a stone and turf dyke, a series of enclosures and a number of buildings. <1>
This site was recorded in 2011 by Buchanan M, Buchanan J, & MacInnes A as part of an archaeological survey of Kildonan township.
There are two buildings on the shore below the raised beach and township. Both are shown as roofed on the 1st OS. The Shepherd’s House (see plan) is still roofed with corrugated iron which has two skylights to the front elevation, and one to the rear. This house was occupied until the late 1940’s. The building is surrounded by the remains of an enclosure marked on the 1st OS. Local knowledge indicates the later use of part of the enclosure. The ruins of various outhouses remain (see plan). The walled garden as marked on the 1st OS. There are no firm dates as to the construction of these buildings but they are locally thought to be contemporary with Kildonan House (MHG58985) around the time of the establishment of the sheep farm. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1995. Archaeological Survey of Proposed Plantation at Creag na Ceapaich, Dundonnell. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 20/12/1995. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Buchanan, M; Buchanan, J. & MacInnes, A.. 2011. A Survey of Kildonan Township. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.16,20-23.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0779 9080 (60m by 42m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12095 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.