MHG59007 - Building, Kildonan township, Dundonell
Ruined building in Kildonan township, Dundonell
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The depopulated township of 'Kildonan' extends from NH 075910 to NH 082908. (Visible on air photographs OS/61/48, 021-022 and RAF CPE/Scot/ 321, 3183-4). It comprises 26 buildings, 3 yards, and several enclosures, all standing to an average height of 1.0m. (See MHG25200) Visited by OS (R B) 5 October 1964
Seven roofed and twenty-two unroofed buildings, three unroofed structures, some enclosures and a head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xxi). Three roofed and thirty one unroofed buildings, some enclosures and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968). Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 February 1996
As well as the remains of a number of structures within Kildonan township there is extensive evidence of broad rig cultivation, which was recorded during the course of a pre-afforestation survey undertaken by J Wordsworth. The cultivation is situated most visibly to the N of Alltan a' Churaich and S of the Allt Mor Chill-donain on a sloping terrace raised above the beach. Less obvious remains can be found in the ground below the raised beach, although these may have been ploughed over at a later date. Other structures include a sheepfold, boundary wall, a stone and turf dyke, a series of enclosures and a number of buildings. <1>
This site was recorded in 2011 by Buchanan M, Buchanan J, & MacInnes A as part of an archaeological survey of Kildonan township.
Ruin of a building measuring 19.9 x 4.6m. NH 08124 90891 elevation 36m. The walls are constructed with chosen flat boulders with some layering and rise to a maximum remaining height of 1.3m with an average width of 0.7m. The ruin has a dividing wall at 8.2m along its length with a width of 0.9m. This wall is only 4m long centrally placed thus leaving a gap at either end for access between the compartments. The only external door opening is on the N. facing wall, with no evidence of any windows. To the S. side of the building there is an external ditch running the full length and to the N. side there is a midden. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1995. Archaeological Survey of Proposed Plantation at Creag na Ceapaich, Dundonnell. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 20/12/1995. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Buchanan, M; Buchanan, J. & MacInnes, A.. 2011. A Survey of Kildonan Township. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.29 Site 10.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
No mapped location recorded.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.