MHG59017 - School and Poor House - Arkavie Cottage
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD)
- POOR HOUSE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- COTTAGE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875) depicts and annotates a school which the OS Name Book states had a average attendance of 25 pupils. In 1887 Kamallie parish rented the former school as a poor house and is shown on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map annotated Poorhouse. In 1904 it could accomdate eight residents. Map evidence would suggest that the building was extended to the W some time after the 2nd edition map. It is depicted on current OS Master Mapping as 'Arkavie Cottage'.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK)12 December 2012.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1875-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Argyll. Digital.
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1319 7941 (19m by 13m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/320238/arkavie-cottage (Link to online HES Canmoe record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.