MHG59019 - Hydroelectric Power Station - Munessie
A Hydroelectric Power Station built in the 1920s but later dismantled.
Type and Period (1)
- HYDROELECTRIC POWER STATION (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Built in the 1920s to supply electrical power for the construction of the dams at Loch Laggan and Loch Treig. Water was diverted down an adit from the River Spean just South of Ardluachrach. There was a narrow gauge railway to the power house.
The power station would have been dismantled on completion of the dams.
A substantial concrete building can still be seen in the gorge though access to it is difficult.
Information from Martin Briscoe, 1st August 2012
See link below to HES Canmore record for photos contributed by Martin Briscoe of the building.
GIS spatial data created based on OS Master Map. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NN 2953 8065 (20m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/318900/munossie-gorge-power-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.