MHG59023 - Drill Hall - Mary Street, Fort William
A drill hall later converted into housing.
Type and Period (1)
- DRILL HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Osborne (2006) records a drill hall in Mary Street. The front block is two-storeyed with half dormers, with a single-storey hall behind. The building had not been built by the time of the 2nd edition OS 1:2500 map. The building has now been converted to housing.
In 1914 the hall was the drill station for "A" Squadron, 1st Lovat's Scouts and base for "E" Company, 4th battalion Cameron Highlanders. Recorded as part of HS and RCAHMS World War One Audit Project. <1> <2> <3>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp 277.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331799.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 60, Table 35.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 409.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1066 7418 (24m by 37m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331799/fort-william-mary-street-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.