MHG59026 - Road (B863) - Glencoe to Kinlochleven
A road built during the First World War by German prisoners of war to replace a footpath between Glencoe and Kinlocheven.
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD (First World War to 21st Century - 1914 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Extends across map sheets NN05NE, NN15NW, NN16SW and NN16SE.
A road runs along the S side of Loch Leven between the villages of Glencoe and Kinlochleven. Built at the end of the First World War and completed in 1919, it was constructed by German prisoners of war to replace the footpath depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map.
The W end starts where the road leaves the A82, and crosses the river Coe on a large concrete bridge. The E end finishes were the existing road stops on the 2nd edition map (ibid). One bridge (see NN16SE 68) has a plaque 'Erected by German PoW 1919'. Information recorded during HS and RCAHMS' World World One Audit Project. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- <1> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 332718.
- <2> SHG28062 Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 266.
- <3> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1409 6031 (8727m by 3189m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332718/loch-leven-road-b863 (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.