MHG59062 - Drill Hall - Joss Street, Invergordon


No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • DRILL HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
  • NISSEN HUT (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Osborne (2006) records a drill hall in Joss Street in 1914, when it was the base for "F" Company, 4th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders. It does not appear on the 2nd edition OS 1:2500 map (surveyed 1904). He notes that the hall has since been demolished. The exact location and when it was demolished are unclear.

Three large nissan type huts were used as the Invergordon Drill Hall to the rear of some prefab housing built on the N side of Joass Street. It is unclear when they first became used as the drill hall, as they were visible in a aerial image in June 1947, and may have been in use as military buildings during the Second World War.
The original Drill Hall was destroyed by fire (see MHG57136) in 1953-4.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>

Sources/Archives (4)



Grid reference Centred NH 7080 6866 (40m by 40m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH76NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish ROSSKEEN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.