MHG59067 - Bronze Flat Axehead - Balchraggan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH 53 44 A complete but worn copper flat axehead was found during metal detecting near Balchraggan. Claimed as Treasure Trove (TT 232/14), allocated to Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. <1>
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <2>
The axehead is possibly listed under Acc. No. 2017.012.002 in the Inverness Museum catalogue. <3>
GR given is 4 figure only. A 10 figure GR is held by TT. GW 13/05/20
- --- SHG28208 Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 232/14. XY
- <1> SHG28015 Text/Publication/Article: Cowie, T. 2015. 'Metal detector find, Balchraggan', Discovery Excav Scot, New Series, vol. 16. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 109. pp. 109.
- <2> SHG28012 Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 15.
- <3> SHG25836 Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2017.012.002.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5400 4400 (20m by 20m)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.