MHG59069 - BA Flat Axehead - Gollanfield, Ardersier
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A flat axehead was discovered at Gollanfield near Ardersier by metal detecting in 2010. One of the tips had been damaged and was missing but otherwise the cutting edge was intact apart from nicking. It was backed by a well- defined curved bevel and its length was 79mm. It was submitted to Treasure Trove and allocated to Inverness Museum (IMAG.2012.010). It was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
The axehead was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 65/11) and allocated to Inverness Museum. See attached TT report for further details. Listed under Acc. No. 2012.010 in the IMAG catalogue. <2> <3> <4>
Four figure grid reference given is marginal. A full GR for the axehead is held by Treasure Trove. GW 17/07/20
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 26.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 65/11. XY
- <3> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 65/11.
- <4> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2012.010.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8000 5300 (20m by 20m)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.