MHG59073 - BA Flat Axehead - Near Nairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An Early Bronze Age flat axe (Coles' type Ba) from near Nairn (NH 8856) is in the British Museum (ex Greenwell Collection - Accession no: WG 1796). The butt is very slightly damaged. It measures 5ins long, 3.05ins across the blade and 1.4ins across the butt.
I C Walker 1967; J M Coles 1971.
No further information obtained.
Visited by OS (E G C) 29 November 1961.
(Migdale type). Nairn, Nairnshire. From the neighbourhood of Nairn. Single find. Flat axe, green, half broken in the middle, scratchmarks parallel to cutting edge, cutting edge worked (modern). Length 128mm, butt 36mm, cutting edge 78mm, weight 188 gms. BM WG 1796.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. pp. 84.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Walker, I C. 1967. 'Some objects from Nairnshire, Moray and Banffshire in the British Museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 98 1964-6, p.312-15. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 312-15. pp. 314.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Walker, I C. 1974. 'The counties of Nairnshire, Moray and Banffshire in the Bronze Age, Part II', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 104 1971-2, p.71-120. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 71-120. pp. 93, no. 2.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. pp. 37, no. 79.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 43. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8800 5600 (10m by 10m)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15109/nairn (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.