MHG59083 - Drill Hall - Chapel Road, Tain
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DRILL HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Osborne (2006) records a drill hall in Castle Brae, in use in 1914 as drill station for "G" Squadron, 2nd Lovat's Scouts and base for "A" Company, 4th battalion Seaforth Highlanders. A drill Hall is depicted on a 4th edition OS 6-inch map. It has been demolished and replaced by a cadet hut.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>
According to the Ross-shire Journal (dated 24 February 1911) a fine large drill Hall was designed by Messrs Maitland, architects, for the County Territorial Association. The building was reported as going to be half-timbered and faced with light coloured cement with a roof of terra-cotta coloured rubberoid.
Information from ARCH (Susan Kruse) to Historic Environment Scotland 4 May 2016.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp. 291.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331788.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 64, table 43.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 439.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7817 8223 (20m by 23m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331788/tain-chapel-road-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.