MHG59083 - Drill Hall - Chapel Road, Tain
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DRILL HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Osborne (2006) records a drill hall in Castle Brae, in use in 1914 as drill station for "G" Squadron, 2nd Lovat's Scouts and base for "A" Company, 4th battalion Seaforth Highlanders. A drill Hall is depicted on a 4th edition OS 6-inch map. It has been demolished and replaced by a cadet hut.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>
According to the Ross-shire Journal (dated 24 February 1911) a fine large drill Hall was designed by Messrs Maitland, architects, for the County Territorial Association. The building was reported as going to be half-timbered and faced with light coloured cement with a roof of terra-cotta coloured rubberoid.
Information from ARCH (Susan Kruse) to Historic Environment Scotland 4 May 2016.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp. 291.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331788.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 64, table 43.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 439.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7817 8223 (20m by 23m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331788/tain-chapel-road-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)