MHG59086 - Drill Hall - Seaforth Road, Muir of Ord
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DRILL HALL (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
The drill hall is a simple corrugated-iron-clad hut, with a double door in the gable with light above and flanked by two small windows. Three windows to frontage to Balvaird Road, with a second door at the east end. A possible firing ranges extends to east from SE corner.The hall was not in position at the time of the 2nd edition OS 1;2500 map. In 1914 it was the drill station for "C" Company 4th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.
Recorded as part of HE and RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp. 286.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331790.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 64, Table 43.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 395.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5285 5025 (27m by 10m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331790/muir-of-ord-seaforth-road-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.