MHG59094 - Engine House - Coast Battery, Site No. 2, North Sutor
Engine house associated with the First World War Site No. 2, 4 inch QF Battery.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTERY ENGINE HOUSE (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
The location of the engine house for the First World War 4-inch QF battery lies at the top of the site. It was situated in a deep rock pit, with a large thick stone wall on its S side. The pit has been used as a dump, mostly for barbed wire. Recorded as part of HS and RCAHMS' World War One Audit Project.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 30 July 2013. <1>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Suvey Project. <2>
The camps, batteries and associated buildings and features were scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 26/03/2019. <3>
For other installations associated with the First World War (Site No. 2) 4 inch QF battery site, see also MHG35178, MHG59170, MHG59898.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331877.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 655. XY
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13570: North Sutor Battery, batteries and camps. Historic Environment Scotland. 27/03/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8123 6873 (32m by 24m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13570 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331877/north-sutor-coast-battery-engine-house (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.