MHG59096 - Building, Kildonan township, Dundonell
Ruined building in Kildonan township, Dundonell
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The depopulated township of 'Kildonan' extends from NH 075910 to NH 082908. (Visible on air photographs OS/61/48, 021-022 and RAF CPE/Scot/ 321, 3183-4). It comprises 26 buildings, 3 yards, and several enclosures, all standing to an average height of 1.0m. (See MHG25200) Visited by OS (R B) 5 October 1964
Seven roofed and twenty-two unroofed buildings, three unroofed structures, some enclosures and a head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xxi). Three roofed and thirty one unroofed buildings, some enclosures and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968). Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 February 1996
As well as the remains of a number of structures within Kildonan township there is extensive evidence of broad rig cultivation, which was recorded during the course of a pre-afforestation survey undertaken by J Wordsworth. The cultivation is situated most visibly to the N of Alltan a' Churaich and S of the Allt Mor Chill-donain on a sloping terrace raised above the beach. Less obvious remains can be found in the ground below the raised beach, although these may have been ploughed over at a later date. Other structures include a sheepfold, boundary wall, a stone and turf dyke, a series of enclosures and a number of buildings. <1>
This site was recorded in 2011 by Buchanan M, Buchanan J, & MacInnes A as part of an archaeological survey of Kildonan township.
The ruin of a substantial building measuring 19.6 x 4.8m. The building is constructed with large boulders and some chosen stones, and has two dividing walls at 6.8 and 12m along its length. The walls remain to a maximum height of 1.2m with an average width of 0.7m. There are two doorways one on the N side of the building, and a wide doorway within the southernmost dividing wall. This has a column of boulders stacked on either side. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1995. Archaeological Survey of Proposed Plantation at Creag na Ceapaich, Dundonnell. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 20/12/1995. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Buchanan, M; Buchanan, J. & MacInnes, A.. 2011. A Survey of Kildonan Township. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.31 Site 16.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0819 9083 (21m by 13m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12096 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.