MHG59105 - Military Camp and Hospital - Newton of Cromarty
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- MILITARY CAMP (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- HOSPITAL (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
The location of the First World War camp of the Seaforth Highlanders is not precisely known but one passing reference to 'Newton Camp, Cromarty' may suggest that the camp was on the land of Newton of Cromarty, SW of the town. A First World War pump house (MHG30331) has been recorded to the SSE of the farm, and this may have been part of the camp's water supply. Local residents suggest that the camp site was at NH 7854 6668.
The camp was the training base for the Seaforth Highlanders, and the camp also provided the garrison for the defence of the naval base.
It is likely that the Cromarty Camp Hospital was in the same area. The hospital had beds for 20 officers and 206 other ranks.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
An advert was placed by the Minstry of Munitions Disposal Board in the Aberdeen Daily Journal for Wednesday 18 August 1920 for the sale of Corrugated Iron Hut, Fittings and Materials at Hospital Buildings, Cromarty on Friday the 20th Aust 1920.
Items for sale were listed as :-
One sectional Hut 110ft x 18ft x 9ft 6in.
30 Corrugated Iron Huts in various sizes including 10ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 8ft, 20ft x 10ft x8ft, 30ft 20ft x10ft, 70ft x 20ft x10ft, ranging up to 140ft x 20ft x 10ft.
Corridor Way of Corrugated Iron 390ft x 7ft 9in x 6ft 9in with windows and doors complete.
Also in included in the sale were Electic fittings, counters, chests of drawers, Fireclay sinks, baths, W.C.'s and cisterns, Radiators, cooking ranges, 30 gallon Portable Boilers, wood clothing racks, 50 cupboards, tables, slop basins, lavatory basins, Geysers, stoves, hot plates, quantity service sleepers.
All building were noted as being of heavy corrugated iron construction and in excellent condition.
HES Canmore Note, September 2017
- <1> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 332346.
- <2> SHG27124 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 13, table 3.
- <3> SHG28062 Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 774. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7849 6669 (536m by 485m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332346/newton-of-cromarty-camp (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.