MHG59132 - Socketed Axehead - Belladrum, Kiltarlity
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An axehead from Inverness Museum collections was catalogued as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was found pre-2011 by metal detecting. It is incomplete with one face intact and the other mostly missing. It has a horizontal groove near the socket. 60mm in length. It was assigned a Late Bronze Age date. <1>
The axehead was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 61/11) and allocated to Inverness Musem. It is listed under Acc. No. 2012.011. See attached TT report for further details. <2> <3> <4>
Four figure grid reference given is marginal. A full GR for the axehead is held by Treasure Trove. GW 10/07/20
- <1> SHG28012 Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat no. 103. XY
- <2> SHG28208 Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 61/11.
- <3> SHG28370 Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 61/11.
- <4> SHG25836 Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 2012.011.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5200 4200 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.