MHG59145 - Boom Anchor - Cromarty Defences, South Sutor
Part of the First World War Cromarty Defences.
Type and Period (1)
- BOOM DEFENCE (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
Located on rock by the high tide line is a metal column c.0.75m high, cemented into the natural rock. This is an anchor point for the boom which extended across the entrance of the Cromarty Firth. It may be the First World War anchor point for the boom, as it lies some c.60m from the First World War Searchlights for the 4-inch QF Battery (see MHG59147). Recorded as part of HS and RCAHMS' World War One Audit Project. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331874.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 27-8.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 583. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8077 6734 (7m by 7m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331874/cromarty-defences-south-sutor-fiddlers-well-boom-anchor (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.