MHG59148 - Military Camp (WWI) - Coast Battery, Site No. 1, North Sutor
Military camp associated with the First World War Site No. 1, 9.2 inch Battery.
Type and Period (1)
- MILITARY CAMP (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
The military camp site lies behind and to the NW of the gun emplacements. The layout of the buildings is shown on a plan of the battery dated 1922 (The National Archive WO 78/5192). At least eighteen are shown on the plan including the engine house (see MHG46670) and PWSS (see NH86NW 9.20). The buildings, all to the S of the track to the 4-inch QF battery, include two Sergeants and Men’s quarters, Officers Quarters, two cook houses each with a store, a carpenters workshop, latrines, a guard room, two workshops, paint store, garage, one building labelled D.R.R . Three of the buildings lie outside the boundary fence to the SW. The camp site was completely demolished and a larger camp site of 25 buildings was constructed to a different arrangement for the Second World War. Recorded as part of HS and RCAHMS World War One Audit Project. <1> <2>
GIS Spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from RCAHMS World War One Survey Project.
NH 81839 68906 - Workshop
NH 81854 68959 - Latrines
NH81865 68962 - Earth and coal store
NH81902 68968 & NH 81893 68950 - Sergeant's and Men's quarters
NH 81919 68957 - Cook house
NH 81925 68959 - Store
NH 81905 68930 - D.R.R building
NH81933 68977 - Cook house
NH 81939 68980 - Store
NH81948 68966 - Carpenter's workshop
NH 81960 68983 - Officer's quarters
NH 81799 68878 - Possible paint store
NH 81769 68926 - Works dept store
NH 82777 68930 - Garage
NH 81827 68923 - Guard room <3>
The North Sutor camps, batteries and associated buildings and features were scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 26/03/2019. <4>
For other installations associated with the First World War (Site No. 1) 9.2 inch battery site, see also MHG35176, MHG35177, MHG35179, MHG35183, MHG46670, MHG59897, MHG59175, MHG59142.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331900.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 27-8.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 312- 17, 486-9, 551, 586-9. XY
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13570: North Sutor Battery, batteries and camps. Historic Environment Scotland. 27/03/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8186 6893 (202m by 113m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13570 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331900/north-sutor-coast-battery (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.