MHG59166 - Drill Hall, Army Cadet Training Centre - Ferry Road, Dingwall
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- DRILL HALL (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- TRAINING BASE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
The Ferry Road drill hall is locally known as the Seaforth Barracks. It was built after the 2nd edition 1:2500 map of the area, just east of the hospital. The hall, with verandah, a two-storey orderly-room block and a possibly later two-storey block form an open quadrangle. Other buildings of various dates lie in the wider compound and on the other side of the road, which is still in use as an Territorial Army centre.
In 1914 the hall was base for "C" sub-section, Ammunition Column, 4th Highland Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery, Mountain, and HQ and "B" Company 4th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders. Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <1> <2> <3>
A photographic survey of Highlander Block of the Army Cadet Training Centre in Dingwall was carried out in 2014 as part of a planing application. <4>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <5>
See HES Canmore record below for photos of the site contributed by Martin Briscoe.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp 272.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 3317891.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 64, table 43.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 404, 418.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Wellwood Leslie Chartered Architects. 2015. Photographic Survey - Highlander Block, Army Cadet Training Centre, Dingwall. Colour. Digital.
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5568 5856 (115m by 84m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331789/dingwall-ferry-road-drill-hall-war-memorial (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.