MHG59181 - Light Anti-Aircraft Battery - Loch Ewe Defences, Mellangauan Stirkhill
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- ANTI AIRCRAFT BATTERY (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- HUT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- GUN EMPLACEMENT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
Three rectangular concrete hut bases and a circular feature are visible in aerial photography taken in 2009. <1>
Situated on the summit of a hill called Mellangaun Stirkhill are the remains of a light anti-aircraft battery. The gun emplacement occupied a stoney circular platform on the summit. To the W is the remains of a small brick and concrete structure thought to be the magazine. Downhill and to the N of the summit are three concrete hut bases. A metalled track leads down to the public road.
Visited by RCAHMS (AKK) 12 October 2012.
See link below to HES Canmore record for photos of the site.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331166.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No, 1305.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2014. Getmapping aerial photography 2014. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8142 8924 (33m by 42m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331166/mellangaun-stirkhill (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.