MHG59185 - Building, Melvaig township
Ruined house and enclosure in Melvaig township
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A crofting township comprising seventy-one roofed, three partially roofed, twenty-one unroofed buildings, their associated enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xxxi). Forty-eight roofed, three partially roofed, forty-five unroofed buildings, their associated enclosures and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 17 April 1996
Melvaig is one of the Gairloch crofting townships created in 1845 by John Mackenzie, although early documents show that people lived here in 1660. The name Melvaig in Gaelic is ‘ Mealabhaig ‘ meaning ‘ bent grass bay ‘, and with aig associated with Viking vik it is possible that the area was settled before this. The Gairloch Estate maps show two main areas of settlement (see map) before the crofts were established and the older boundary head dyke can still be seen within the crofting township head dyke. The crofting township of Melvaig was surveyed in 2013 by A. MacInnes and assisted in the research by J. Buchanan, A. and R. Mackenzie and D. Malone.
Ruin with three compartments and adjoining walls that run down slope towards cliff edge. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2013. The Crofting township of Melvaig. Anne MacInnes. Digital. p.16 Site 118.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7386 8706 (41m by 34m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104962 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.