MHG59257 - Dyke - Abhainn Chonaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DYKE (Medieval to 20th Century - 1058 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
The stone and turf dyke was recorded during an NTS pre-afforestation survey of Kintail and West Affric in 1997. It was spread to c.1.4m wide and was no more than 0.5m high, following a sinuous course N-wards and was cut by the path up the glen. The dyke became increasingly constructed of turf as it crossed flatter ground towards the Abhainn Chonaig. It may have been a boundary dyke associated with MHG59255. <1>
This dyke visible on APS. <2> <3>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth. J. & Harden, J.. 1997. Kintail and West Affric Archaeological Survey. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 18/06/2004. Paper and Digital. KIN149.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2013. Getmapping aerial photography 2013.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9802 2217 (49m by 90m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/317602/abhainn-chonaig (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.