MHG59266 - Sheepfold - Eilean a' Chuilinn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SHEEP FOLD (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
A sheepfold was recorded during the NTS pre-afforestation survey of Kintail and West Affric in 1997. It was in good condition and retained creeps in its N & E walls. The south wall appeared to have been removed since its depiction on the 2nd edition OS map, unless the structure was completely rebuilt. The sheepfold's interior had a level platform c.8m by c.3m that was interpreted as a structure during this site visit. <1>
The sheepfold is visible in APs. <2>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth. J. & Harden, J.. 1997. Kintail and West Affric Archaeological Survey. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 18/06/2004. Paper and Digital. KIN170.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9834 1334 (54m by 40m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/317625/eilean-a-chuilinn (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.