MHG59335 - Building, Big Sand crofting township
Ruin of small building in Big Sand crofting township
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A crofting township, comprising sixty-nine roofed, five partially roofed and twenty-one unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xliv). Thirty-seven roofed, six partially roofed and forty unroofed buildings are shown on the current editions of the OS 1:10000 map (1991) and 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 19 April 1996.
The township of Big Sand was established in 1845 as one of the Gairloch crofting townships created by John Mackenzie. It was archaeologically surveyed in 2012 by MacInnes A. See MHG21442 for main township record.
Small structure by road. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
Note; View using aerial photographs indicate two similar sized structures 3.5 metres apart. (T.Blackie 23/1/19)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. The crofting township of Big Sand. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.21 Site 21.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7538 7931 (11m by 19m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104950 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.