MHG59344 - Barn, Big Sand crofting township
Ruined barn in Big Sand crofting township
Type and Period (1)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A crofting township, comprising sixty-nine roofed, five partially roofed and twenty-one unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xliv). Thirty-seven roofed, six partially roofed and forty unroofed buildings are shown on the current editions of the OS 1:10000 map (1991) and 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 19 April 1996.
The township of Big Sand was established in 1845 as one of the Gairloch crofting townships created by John Mackenzie. It was archaeologically surveyed in 2012 by MacInnes A. See MHG21442 for main township record.
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> SHG28043 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. The crofting township of Big Sand. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.23 Site 28.
- <2> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <3> SHG23411 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7516 7921 (10m by 10m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104950 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.