MHG59401 - Drill Hall - Portree
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) DRILL HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
The Portree drill hall was built before the First World War, but after the 2nd edition 1:2500 map was surveyed in 1901. The imposing three-storey, six-bay block survives, now remodelled as council offices with a large extension to the rear.
In 1914 it was drill station for "C" Squadron, 1st Lovat's Scouts and base for "H" Company, 4th battalion Cameron Highlanders. Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <1> <2> <3>
The building is now used as council offices. GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp. 289.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331795.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp 60, table 35.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 12.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4811 4369 (32m by 39m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331795/skye-portree-park-road-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.