MHG59421 - Building, possible modified roundhouse, Big Sand crofting township
Ruined building overlying possible modified roundhouse in Big Sand crofting township
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- HUT CIRCLE? (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A crofting township, comprising sixty-nine roofed, five partially roofed and twenty-one unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xliv). Thirty-seven roofed, six partially roofed and forty unroofed buildings are shown on the current editions of the OS 1:10000 map (1991) and 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 19 April 1996.
The township of Big Sand was established in 1845 as one of the Gairloch crofting townships created by John Mackenzie. An archaeological survey was undertaken in 2012 by MacInnes A. See MHG21442 for main township record.
Ruined building with stone clearance piled on top. Possible modified roundhouse shown first on estate map 1845. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: MacInnes, A.. 2018. The crofting township of Big Sand. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.43 Site 82.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7546 7907 (11m by 14m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104950 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.