MHG59431 - US Naval Base - Kyle of Lochalsh
The site of a former WWI US Naval Base at Kyle of Lochalsh.
Type and Period (1)
- FOREIGN NAVAL BASE (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
A small base was established at Kyle of Lochalsh where mines in ‘kit form’ were landed and loaded onto railway waggons for the journey to Invergordon. Four huts were erected for the men. One building may survive, however, part of a later Second World War camp site occupied the site of the US naval base, and therefore the building may belong to the later camp. The mine landing station was protected from attack by sea by a coast defence battery on Skye (see MHG30231). Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
The single surviving building (see MHG60259) was proposed for listing by Historic Environment Scotland in 2018. <4>
The building was listed at Category C by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 13/03/2018. <5>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 332063.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp 40, Table 17.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 539, 540. XY
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic environment Scotland Designations Team. 2018. Assessment against the listing criteria: Delaware Hall, Station Road, Kyle of Lochalsh. Historic Environment Scotland. 08/02/2017. Digital.
- <5> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Fraser, D.. 2018. Notification of the listing of Delaware Hall, Station Road, Kyle of Lochalsh – LB52473. Historic Environment Scotland. 13/03/2018. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7643 2724 (116m by 52m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332063/kyle-of-lochalsh-united-states-naval-base (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.