MHG59449 - Steading, West Foregin


Ruined steading at West Foregin

Type and Period (1)

  • OUTBUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

R. Spencer-Jones and M. Marshall of Nosas conducted a field survey around the area of Lynmore and Foregin in 2018.

West Foregin
This settlement was called Midd Forregin on an 1808 estate map, Foregin on the 1st & 2nd edition OS maps, and West Foregin on the current OS map. In 1808, the settlement of Lynmore to the NW was called Wester Forregin! The survey identified a modern house, a ruined steading to the W, and low walls of previous buildings in rough grazing to the SW.

Steading; This L-shaped building has intact walls of dressed and shaped stone, 0.6m thick and 2.1 m high. The walls at the end of the NE arm are now tumbled, to 0.2 - 0.3m high. No NE end to the building. The external SW & NW walls are 19m long, with the building 6m wide. Upstanding walls are constructed with dressed and shaped stones. There are two doorways in the NE-facing wall and three doors in the SE-facing wall, each with intact lintels. The building is unroofed. Ruins of an outshot or extension at SE end still apparent at 0.25m high, 6m by 6m. This L-shaped building is identified on the 1st edition amd current OS maps, but not on an 1808 estate map. <1>

NGR adjusted based on 2015 aerial photographs <2>

1st Edition OS 6" <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 8710 2501 (19m by 32m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH82NE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.