MHG59453 - Farmhouse, West Foregin
Ruined farmhouse and outhouse at West Foregin
Type and Period (2)
- FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- OUTBUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
R. Spencer-Jones and M. Marshall of Nosas conducted a field survey around the area of Lynmore and Foregin in 2018.
The settlement of Lynmore (alternative name Wester Forrigen on 1808 estate map) sits on a glacial terrace at an altitude of 390m, overlooking improved ground to the south and a small burn to the east. It comprises a farm building, a steading, an enclosure and a further/?earlier building. All the buildings are roofed on the 1st Edition OS map; a settlement appears on an estate map of 1808 in this location; it is named Wester Forregin.
Farm/building; this rectangular building on a NE-SW alignment measures 11.5m x 4m internally has substantial remains. The walls are double faced, mortared, 0.5m thick and standing, in the main, to eves height (2m); the NE gable stands to its full height of c.4.5m but much of the east gable has fallen. The NE gable has a fireplace, a press in the N corner and an alcove at high level. Of note are two fallen granite lintels at the front of the building; they are 1.7m (length) x 0.25m x 0.25m. The stone footings of a detached outhouse measuring, 4m x 3.5m overall, are to the rear of the building and to the NE a steading adjoins the farmstead. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2015 aerial photographs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R. & Marshall, M.. 2018. Field Survey of Lynmore and Foregin. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.2,3,10 Farmhouse.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2015. Getmapping aerial photography 2015. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8674 2516 (14m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.