MHG59462 - Milestone - Kyleakin
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MILESTONE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This milestone stands on the NE verge of the A87 public road on the outskirts of Kyleakin. It is a granite pillar, triangular in section but with a slightly rounded rear, which measures 0.3m across each of the two front faces and 0.42m across the back by 0.6m in height. The upper part of the front of the stone is angled to a narrow flat top.
The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire - Isle of Skye 1876, Sheet XLI) indicates that the stone stood 1 mile from the Kyleakin Ferry to the E and 7 miles from Broadford to the W.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IP), 28 May 2012.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7396 2629 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/318625/kyleakin (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.