MHG59501 - Settlement - Ault-a-Chrinn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD? to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
The settlement of Ault-a-Chrinn was assessed for an NTS pre-afforestation survey of Kintail and West Affric in 1997. The name Ault-a-chrinn did not appear on the 1st edition 1874 OS map, although it was used in the 1861 census. The settlement N and immediately S of the burn seems to have consisted of a cluster of 7 roofed buildings in 1874 of which one was a smithy, as well as at least one unroofed structure, a sheepfold and four small enclosed fields. Just up the burn on its N side was a possible farmstead of 2 roofed buildings. S of the burn by the boat pier were a further 8 roofed buildings.
By 1902 there were 14 roofed buildings around the burn, the farmstead and 6 roofed buildings by the boat pier.
Roy's survey of c1750 did not record a township here and it seems that this may be a settlement that developed during the 19th century following the displacement of cottars and crofters when sheep farming was introduced. <1>
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital. XY
- --- Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth. J. & Harden, J.. 1997. Kintail and West Affric Archaeological Survey. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 18/06/2004. Paper and Digital. KIN093.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9463 2030 (342m by 268m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/317551/ault-a-chrinn (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.