MHG59527 - Hut circle - Allt na Garbhlain, Skye
A hut circle, dating to the Middle-Late Bronze Age at Allt na Garbhlain, Skye.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Occupied, Middle Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 1410 BC to 1210 BC)
- None recorded
A hut circle (site LS121), one of 29 identified by M Wildgoose in a walkover survey as part of the High Pasture Cave and Environs project. Three test pits were subsequently excavated in the hut circle in 2011, and was dated to the Middle-Late Bronze Age (1410-1210BC). Finds included pottery, a scraper, worked pumice and numerous pot boiler fragments.
A boulder revetted platform of irregular shape with associated linear boulder boundaries forming small enclosures. Finds from both test pits include 62 sherds of fine, plain, black burnished pottery from several vessels, an end scrapper, a piece of worked pumice, a fragment of quern rubber and numerous pot-boiler fragments. Although there was no discernable occupation horizon a spread of charcoal fragments was encountered in both test pits. A third test pit which was placed across a well preserved length of boulder boundary demonstrated that the boulders had been placed after the turf had been stripped from the line of the wall. <1>
Summary of the landscape survey project and test pitting campaign. <2>
158540 818720 Allt na Garbhlain HPC121: The hut circle was revisited and recorded by M Wildgoose in 2011 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross for A Welti. This is one of a number of roundhouses in the area in and around Strath Suardal. This Strath runs NE/SW from Broadford to Torrin. These roundhouses are of special interest as all are within relatively easy reach of the site of High Pasture Cave (MHG32043) and hence some may have been associated with it. HPC121 is sited on moderately sloping ground on the lower NW facing slopes of Beinn an Dubhaich, at a distance of 50m from a stream, 200m from the sea and 50m from a modern track. The boulder revetted platform is built up from the slope and has an irregular shape. Vegetation in the surrounding landscape is a mixture of grass, heather and bracken. The walls are single skin. Average diameter of the structure is 12.5m, with maximum wall height 0.6m. No entrance is discernable. It is at a distance of 400m from HPC120 (see MHG) and is 1500m from High Pasture Cave. This HC was test-pitted by Martin Wildgoose and S Glover as part of the High Pasture Cave and Environs project, (see MHG5230) and excavation produced sherds of fine black burnished pottey, a scraper, pumice, and a quern rubber. Charcoal from the occupation horizon gave a date of 1410-1210BC, Early Bronze Age. <3> <4>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2019 to approximate location as shown on 2010 vertical Aps. <5>
- <1> SHG28049 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 2016. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) and Environs Project: Data Structure Report: Landscape Survey 2006-2010. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). Digital. p.23 LS121.
- <2> SHG24367 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Birch, S. & Wildgoose, M.. 2013. Uamh an Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave) & Environs Project, Strath, Isle of Skye 2010/11: The Preliminary Assessment and Analysis of Late Prehistoric Cultural Deposits from a Limestone Cave and Associated Surface Features: Data Structure Report - HPC007. West Coast Archaeological Services et al. 17/12/2014. Digital. pp.63-73 & Site LS121.
- <3> SHG27403 Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. HPC121.
- <4> SHG27404 Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. HPC121.
- <5> SHG27785 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5853 1872 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.