MHG59531 - Drill Hall - Church Road, Kyle of Lochalsh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DRILL HALL (First World War to 20th Century - 1914 AD to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
Osborne (2006) records the existence of a drill hall here in 1914, when it was the base for "E" Squadron, 2nd Lovat's Scouts and drill station for 4th Highland Mountain Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery. The hall survives as a plasterboard hut clad in corrugated iron. It does not appear on the 2nd edition 1:2500 OS map.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>
See link below to HES Canmore record for photos of the building contributed by M. Briscoe. <1>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp 282.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331791.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp.64, Table 43.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 394.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7615 2765 (28m by 21m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331791/kyle-of-lochalsh-church-road-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.