MHG59549 - Building, Gaoth Dail (Gaodeil), Rhu
Ruined building in Gaoth Dail (Gaodeil), Rhu
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- STRUCTURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CAIRN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a township comprising five unroofed buildings and a field is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv). Four unroofed buildings and a field are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974). Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
The foundations of four rectilinear structures were assessed during the course of an archaeological evaluation prior to the initiation of a woodland regeneration programme. Loosely grouped on a rocky knoll, they form part of the larger township (NM68SE 9.00) in the valley leading down to Camas Ghaoideil bay. Two structures are of loose stone construction, measuring 7m by 4m and 5m by 4m respectively, with walls around 1m thick. To the south lies a larger, although less well defined, structure of turf and stone construction. A further building is located some 50m uphill to the northwest of the main group. It is also a turf and stone banked structure of similar proportions, although unlike the others, it is enclosed by a turf bank around 0.3m high and 1m wide. Unlike other structures in the township, these buildings do not feature on any historical maps.
Information from CFA Report 1994 (No. 161) MS/726/176
Sponsor: Scottish Woodlands Ltd. <1>
Gaoth Dail was surveyed in 2012 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al and descends from 50 m above sea level to the shore for c.350m north to south and a maximum of 150 m east to west. It is surrounded by an extant dry stonewall with several substantial roofless buildings.
Site 7; A low very degraded sub rectangular ruin very similar to the one observed (MSG59545) but smaller c. 7 x 4 metres. Just west to this feature are 5 large set stones in a row with a cairn of small stones at its southern end. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 aerial photographs <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Alexander, D.. 1994. Arisaig, Lochaber District, Highland Region: Archaeological Survey. Centre for Field Archaeology, University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1994. Paper and Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.12 Site 7.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6705 8438 (12m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.