MHG59558 - Possible hut circle - Braevall Wood
A possible hut circle near Braevall Wood.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE? (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) ENCLOSURE? (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A possible hut circle near Braevall Wood. Recorded by the OS as such as lying c.50m to the north of 'B' (see MHG44309) but may also be a small enclosure.
('A' - NH 844 457, 'B' - NH 843 456, 'C' - NH 845 457)
Visible on RAF air photographs RAF/106G/Scot/UK 169: 5383-4 and on OS air photographs OS/67/140: 126-7.
Two circular stone-walled huts at NH 8443 4590 ('A') and NH 8447 4578 ('B'), with contemporary cultivation plots averaging c.20.0m by c. 15.0m in their vicinity, defined by stone clearance heaps and occasional field walls.
Hut 'A' measures c. 18.5m in diameter between the centres of an ill-defined wall obscured by peat. A dip in the wall in the E probably marks the entrance. A drain has cut across the SE arc exposing the wall core of rubble in which the OS (A A) found pieces of iron slag. More iron slag is visible in a similar drain near the brink of a N facing slope c. 40.0m NE of the hut.
Hut 'B' measures c.10.5m in diameter between the centres of a denuded wall spread to c. 2.5m all round. The entrance is not evident. A clearance heap lies against the wall in the SW.
About 50.0m to the N of 'B' is a roughly circular area c. 12.0m in diameter, bounded on the N by a stony bank c. 3.0m wide, and elsewhere by a rickle of stones. An elongated clearance heap occurs outside the E arc. It may be a denuded hut, but is more likely fortuitous. Surveyed at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (A A) 2 April 1971.
GIS spatial data created in 2019 according to the location of the feature on 2009 vertical APs. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 12, No. 53.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8448 4584 (24m by 24m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15027 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.