MHG59566 - Building, Camus Ghaoideil
Ruined building, Camus Ghaoideil
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a township comprising five unroofed buildings and a field is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet cxxxv). Four unroofed buildings and a field are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974). Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1996
Field survey in advance of a woodland regeneration programme located the well-preserved remains of two rectilinear stone structures depicted as unroofed on the OS 1st edition 6 inch map (Inverness-shire, sheet CXXXV, 1876). Interpreted as houses, the northern example measures 7m by 4m, while the southern is 6m by 5m with a 2m lean-to structure abutting its south end. It is possible that they relate to pre-clearance 18th - 19th century farming settlements given their proximity to old field boundaries marked on both the OS 1st edition and modern maps. Both buildings have turf-covered structures immediately to the S, possibly suggesting an ancillary agricultural function. These houses are likely to have formed part of the township. Information from CFA Report 1994 (No. 161) MS/726/176
Sponsor: Scottish Woodlands Ltd. <1>
Gaoth Dail was surveyed in 2012 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al and descends from 50 m above sea level to the shore for c.350m north to south and a maximum of 150 m east to west. It is surrounded by an extant dry stonewall with several substantial roofless buildings.
Site 12. Another ruin similar to well built ruin (MGH45992) to a metre high – internal measurements c. 5 x 4 mtrs. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Alexander, D.. 1994. Arisaig, Lochaber District, Highland Region: Archaeological Survey. Centre for Field Archaeology, University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1994. Paper and Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rough Bounds Archaeology. 2016. Walkover Survey - Rhu Peninsula. Rough Bounds Archaeology. Digital. p.12 Site 12.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6717 8438 (6m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.